- On 16th December 2020, the European Parliament and the Council adopted the proposal of the European Commission to designate 2021 as the European Year of Rail (2021 EYR).
- On 29th March 2021, the EYR 2021 was officially launched by the Commission with an online event hosted by the Portuguese Presidency.
- The aim of the EC is to promote rail transport in line with the objectives set out in the European Green Deal, including a sustainable and smart mobility.
- On 21st February 2022, the EYR 2021 was officially closed with a meeting held in Paris by the French Presidency. 2022 was designated the Year of Youth.
EIM in action
- In June 2020, EIM set up an ad-hoc WG “EYR 2021” to prepare a communication strategy and coordinate EIM initiatives throughout 2021, both on Association and members’ level.
- In January 2021, EIM presented a “2021 EYR Communication Action Plan”, which was endorsed by the PMC of February.
- In April 2021, both the PMC and the “EYR 2021” WG agreed on the milestones of the implementation of the EIM Action Plan.
- The PMC was regularly kept informed on the progress of the Action Plan
- On 13th April 2021, EIM, UNIFE and CER sent a joint letter to the EU institutions requesting to extend the 2021 EYR to 2022. The extension of the EYR was rejected by both the EC and the EP on 23rd June 2021.
EIM actions in 2021
- In 2021, EIM promoted the initatives of its members with the publication of articles, videos or interviews on EIM’s website and social media.
- In total, 30 articles, 25 videos and 2 factsheets were published in 2021.
- EIM’s visibility on social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, website) dramatically increased in 2021 compared to the same period in 2020:
- +19% followers on Twitter
- +69% followers on LinkedIn
- +76% visit on the website
In 2022, EIM will continue to promote the activities on its members.